Language Points | Translation | Comprehension Questions
 
Text A    Advertising

And to the marketing manager each advertising medium is a means for conveying a message to the target audience.
对销售经理来说,每个广告媒体都是一种把信息传递给目标受体的形式。
If I were starting my life again, I am inclined to think I would go into the advertising business in preference to almost any other.
如果我再次拥有生命,我将倾向与优先考虑从事广告业而不是其他行业。
If 引出虚拟条件句,表示纯粹假设或实现的可能性不大,
If she were here, she would lend me a hand.
如果她在这儿,她会帮助我的。
If I had known his address, I would have visited him.
如果我知道他的地址,我早就去拜访他了。
and to promote the likelihood that the customer will buy a particular product or service.
促进顾客购买特别的产品或服务的可能性。
句中that 是关系代词,引出likelihood的同位语从句,如:
Obviously, there was little probability that they would succeed, but they didn’t mind.
很明显,他们成功的可能性极小,但他们不在乎。
I can’t say with any certainty that I’ll work out the complicated problem in time.
我不能肯定地说,我将及时地解决这个复杂的问题。
Such practice will only be counter-effective.
这种做法将是无效的。
英语中类似“counter-effective”这样的合成形容词很常用,如:
noble-minded 高尚的
large-scale 大规模的
far-reaching 深远的
epoch-marking 划时代的
warm-hearted 热心的
at a large number of potential customers
大量的潜在顾客 a large ( great) number of 大量的或数量众多的,谓语动词用复数the number of ……的数目(或数量),谓语动词用单数,如:
There are a large number of reasons to turn out that it was not my fault.
有大量的理由证明,这不是我的过错。
The number of jobless people grows because of financial crisis.
由于金融危机,失业人数增加。
the travel industry has come to realize the tremendous potential of this form of promotion
旅游业逐步认识到这种促销形式是非常有潜力的,动词come 与不定式连用构成谓语,意为“逐步”,如:
I hope we will be friends and come to understand each
other. 我希望我们将成为朋友并能逐步互相了解。
I’m sure he’ll come to be ashamed of what he behaved
yesterday. 我相信他会为他昨天的表现感到羞愧的。