English Intensive Reading 吉林大学远程教育学院    
Introduction
Text
Language Points
Grammar
 
  Lesson 3    Grammar  ( Page 2)
   
     
   
含蓄条件句 (Sentences of Implied Condition)
2.假设的情况暗含在上下文中:
a.He would have given you more help, but he has been so busy.
他本来要多给你一些帮助的,只是他太忙了。
b. I would have written before, but I have been ill.
本来该早给你写信的,但我生病了。
c.I was ill that day. Otherwise I would have taken part in the parade.(If I hadn’t been ill, …)
我那天生病,否则就参加游行了。
d.But for the storm, we should have arrived earlier.
要是没有碰到暴雨,我们还会早到一些的。
e.A less brave man wouldn’t have dared to work in the enemy headquarters.
一个不这么勇敢的人是不会敢在敌人指挥部工作的。
f.Any person who had behaved in that way would have been dismissed.
任何人这样做了都会被解雇。
g.I wouldn’t have acted as he did.
我不会像他那样干。
h.Who but a fool would believe that?
除了傻瓜谁会相信这个?
i.It would be a mistake not to help him.
(It would be a mistake if we didn’t help him.) 不帮助他将是一个错误。
j.Anybody in her position would have done the same.
任何人在她这样地位都会这样做。
k.It was so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop.
是那样的安静,掉根针都听得见。
l. Such mistakes could have been avoided (if we had been more careful).
这种错误本来是可以避免的。